|Notes from late pregnancy
Mad Scientess Jane Expat
- My hair stopped falling out at all about six weeks ago. I forgot to condition it last week and when it dried, I looked in the mirror and shrieked because I thought Cousin It had eaten my head.
- I finally had to give up on keeping my belly ring in. I tried some months ago to switch to a PTFE bar. I had an allergic reaction to it (wtf) so I put the surgical steel ring back in. That worked fine until my belly stretched to the point where the ring wouldn’t sit in a comfortable position. I’m a little sad about it, but I figure if I want it back, I can get it re-pierced.
- The exercise ball I got to sit on in my office has been my best pregnancy-based purchase. Keeps me from getting back pain and apparently balancing on it is great for keeping up core muscle strength, which is very good for childbirth. It seems to soothe Humuhumu when I roll around or bounce on it, too.
- My worst pregnancy-related symptom has been fluid retention in my joints, which has given me carpal tunnel in my right hand. I haven’t had feeling in my fingertips since the start of my eighth month. Given what I’ve heard from the other pregnant ladies in my NCT course, I think I’ve been pretty lucky.
- My upper limit for walking distances has been contracting gradually. Three months ago, it was three miles in a day. Two months ago it shrank to two miles. Now (in my last month) it’s just under one mile. I feel pathetic about this but when I told the other ladies I was still walking to the shops/GP/post office and not driving, they looked at me like I’d grown a second head. Or maybe a third arm.
- I’m definitely not so amazingly cool that you could keep a side of meat in me for a month, though. The key word for late pregnancy is HOT. Give me a nice tepid bath and a cold drink of water. Yes, I know it’s autumn and it’s less than five degrees above freezing outside at night. Turn the heating off, I want to sleep with the window open!
- Telstar continues to think I’ve grown this bed just for him.