The reasoning behind the request for this present was as follows:
- The children should probably be starting music lessons soon. I started when I was five.
- I cannot face the prospect of driving the children to another activity.
- I had classical piano training up to approximately Grade 7, which is the point at which I got bored and stopped practising/having lessons.
- With the assistance of the appropriate books, I can probably teach the children how to play. Not to Grade 7 probably, but if they show enough interest then they can have lessons.
- I wanted to play pop music once I became a teenager and was discouraged from doing so. See point 3) re: loss of interest.
Here’s what has happened since the piano arrived three weeks ago. It was too big to conceal or bring in the car to Norfolk so the bloke gave it to me straightaway.
- I taught myself to play Hurt (Nine Inch Nails) from the sheet music the bloke bought me. I can now play it from memory.
- I started teaching Humuhumu how to play scales.
- I started teaching the bloke how to play scales and read music from the basic books.
- The bloke and I are now competing for practice time.
- I bought the sheet music for Faded (Alan Walker) and started teaching myself that.
- I have been practising for at least half an hour a day, sometimes longer. Last night I practised for an hour and a half. I can't recall ever doing that of my own free will as a child.
- I have decided I am allowed to play as much non-classical music as I like. I'm not being graded or required to perform. I am doing this because I like playing music, and being enabled to rediscover that was one of the best gifts I've ever received.
- If I keep this up, I might start taking voice lessons, because I never had those. I used to love singing and playing. I don’t know why I stopped.
Recommendations for good online sheet music providers and/or good piano-based tunes (there’s an Evanescence/Amy Lee book on Amazon, DO WANT) are welcome. I don’t mind paying for decent arrangements.
This entry was originally posted at https://nanila.dreamwidth.org/1119546.html. The titration count is at .0 pKa.